A downloadable game
Content warning: bones, violence
Picking the bones of OSR clean and crushing them underfoot
OSSUARY is a minimal, one-page dungeon delving system. It's been designed with speed and play-by-post in mind — the rules are straightforward, the character sheets are simple, the rolls are handled by the Bone Collector (aka GM).
In this game a Bone Collector guides a group of players through a game of traps, terror and treasure, where creative problem-solving is key.
Features at a glance:
- 3 randomly generated stats — Spine (strength), Femur (dexterity) and Skull (willpower) — represented by die sizes (d4, d6, d8, d10, and d12)
- core stats double up as HP
- pseudo-lifepath character generation and equipment
- emphasis on lvl 0 funnel play
- freeform classes and abilities beyond lvl 0
- micro adventure hidden within the rules
Example character sheet:
Vagrant Spine: d8 Femur: d4 Skull: d10 ...with... an empty promise ...who wants to... eliminate a nemesis Equipment: Stick  Goose Vial of weak poison
24 additional character options are available in the A Heap of Bones supplement.
Level 0 Character Generator:
Here’s a handy little HTML tool for making funnel characters really easily. You can use it on your phone or desktop (no download required).
Make your own content:
- additional rules
- …whatever you want
Please share with me so I can admire it. If there’s enough demand I’ll make a jam!
Play-by-post advice (for Bone Collectors):
- On a Discord server create a category for your lvl 0 campaign
- Create a channel for each player, generate 4 characters per player and post them in the respective channels
- Create a channel with ground rules and be explicit about content warnings, safety tools and expectations around how frequently everyone should post
- Create a private channel with just you and a dice bot
- Invite your players to the server/category and ensure they have notifications switched on
- Amend characters' stats/statuses/equipment in the players' channels as required (use strikethrough formatting for elements that might return back to their original state/value)
- Have fun!
Submitted as part of:
Update: OSSUARY can be found in print in the published Tiny Tome anthology by Long Tail Games.
|Tags||dungeon, Dungeon Crawler, OSR, post-osr, Tabletop role-playing game, usage-dice|
Click download now to get access to the following files:
- OSSUARY: A Heap of BonesJul 20, 2022
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.
So I just read this and I don't think I have ever come away so mind boggled by something in TTRPGs. The game is a wonderful bare bones bit of brutal OSR done elegantly on two sides of a sheet of card, but then I noticed the note "underlined = micro adventure" and read it back through and have just been in a resnx for like 5 minutes!
Now this is exactly the reaction I’m after! Thank you.
No! Thank you. I am absolutely chowing down on this bundle of joy!
Love the game, is there any sort of supplement for classes though?
Hey! There's a supplement that expands the character creation table: https://alfredvalley.itch.io/ossuary-a-heap-of-bones. However, I think maybe you mean classes as in beyond lvl 0? In which case, no, not at the moment unfortunately.
Now, why didn't I come up with that name. Kudos! Solid game.